Oklahoma DOT announces $7 million available for small community improvements

The Oklahoma Department of Transportation has announced the availability of $7 million in federal grant money for Oklahoma communities through the Transportation Alternative Program.

The DOT calls it a chance for smaller communities to turn their transportation improvement ideas into reality.

The TAP program aims at helping communities with a population of less than 5,000 to develop projects which can help other forms of transportation. This can include improvements like pedestrian and bicycle paths, crosswalks and elevated walk ways, safe routes to schools and other community enhancements. The TAP fund covers 80 percent of the project while the other 20 percent must be matched by local entities or sponsors.

The grant registration is now open to eligible entities. While anyone can register for the TAP grant, individuals are encouraged to work with community leaders and establish groups to develop their proposals. Representatives from the Oklahoma Department of Transportation will also be available during the registration and application period to discuss ideas and help provide further information. Grant applications will open to eligible entities on Oct. 1 and close Nov. 30, 2018. All submitted applications will go through a competitive multi-phase selection process and more details can be found in the FY 2018 TAP Guidance and Application Packet.

The application cycle will be closed Nov. 30, 2018 and grant winners are expected to be announced in March 2019.