PSO Withdraws OCC Wind Catcher Application

After the Texas Public Utility Commission denied an application for the Wind Catcher Energy Connection project, Tulsa-based Public Service Co. of Oklahoma conceded victory and filed to withdraw a similar application for the wind farm before the Oklahoma Corporation Commission on Tuesday.

Last week, the Texas Public Utility Commission rejected the certificate of convenience and necessity sought by Southwestern Electric Power Co. and its parent company, American Electric Co. As reported by OK Energy Today on July 29, 2018, the company dropped plans to develop a $4.5 billion dollar Wind Catcher wind farm in the Oklahoma Panhandle including a 350-mile power line and two substations.

The wind farm was to be built on 300,000 acres in Cimarron and Texas counties in the Oklahoma Panhandle, according to a story published in the Enid News & Eagle. It was to include nearly 800 2.5 MW wind turbines. A power line was set to stretch from the Panhandle to Tulsa, bringing 2,000 megawatts of energy to customers in eastern and southwest Oklahoma, in addition to parts of Texas, Arkansas and Louisiana. PSO’s share of the project investment would have been $1.36 billion.

Wind Catcher was a joint effort between Southwestern Electric Power Co. and PSO. Southwestern Electric would have retained 70% ownership of the project while PSO maintained the remaining 30% ownership.

 

%d bloggers like this: